One of the more common reasons for changing a default application by file type is when PDFs are not opening or show the wrong icon next to the file’s name. That will be the example used in this guide.
Set Default Applications by File Type
- Click the Start button (usually in the lower-left corner)
- Start typing “Default Apps.” It is ok if you do not see a search box. It appears as soon as the typing starts
- The setting for Default Apps will appear. Click it:
- Scroll to the bottom of the window that appears.
- Click on the link for “Choose default apps by file type.”
- The list of file types will take a moment to open. Scroll down and find .pdf (or the file type that needs its app changed, if it’s not a PDF file).
- Change the preferred program by clicking on the icon to the right of the file type:
- Close the Settings window